Hootsuite is generally recognized as a "Social Media Management Platform", and it is awesome! It offers so many great resources to manage numerous different social media platforms at the same time. Once you login to Hootsuite, there's a lot going on and it might look a bit confusing. That's where this post comes in handy.
Through all the plugins and shortcuts on Hootsuite, there is most definitely a strategy to be successful. Below are 5 unique creative strategies for success on the platform.
1) Pick and choose your social platforms wisely. There are a lot of options out there in the world of social networks. Some platforms are better for certain things than others. If you choose to incorporate too many platforms, then you're Hootsuite is going to become very confusing very fast. We recommend to choose 2-3 platforms and dominate them, and then maybe add more.
2) Create streams in Hootsuite to help optimize your strategy. The platform allows you to manage up to 100 different social networks at the same time such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+, YouTube, Linkedin, Pinterest, Mail Chimp and many more. On top of that, you are able to track different keywords such as "competitors" or "targets" on Twitter. This allows you to track a specific competitor and see what they are posting daily. The "targets" stream allows you to track specific keywords, so every time someone uses 'online marketing' or 'broken website', that tweet will pop up. Then it's your job to reach out to those potential customers.
3) Schedule multiple posts at the same time. Hootsuite gives you the ability to schedule posts in advance and schedule multiple posts at the same time. This is a great tool for staying organized and staying on the ball. It allows you to really focus on your strategy and develop a long term plan with a variety of content.
4) Develop different content for different platforms. Hootsuite allows you to post to numerous different social networks at the same time, but that doesn't mean you should be posting the same content to Facebook, Twitter, and Google+. Why not develop a different content strategy based on what fits best with that specific platform? For example, Google+ allows for 'gifs' while Facebook does not. Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ recognize hashtags while Linkedin does not. Hootsuite gives you the opportunity to develop specific content strategies for each platform, and it makes it easy too!
5) Cross promote on numerous platforms. If you have 5 different social platforms listed on your Hootsutie, sometimes you might want to post the same content to a few different platforms. Hootsuite allows you to easily cross promote between social networks with a click of a button. You can write a post and then decide to release it on Twitter, Google+ and Facebook at the same time. Cross promoting content is a great tool to help you manage your posting.
Overall Hootsuite is a great platform that helps optimize your social media strategy. The keyword in the last sentence is 'social media strategy'. Before you're able to use Hootsuite, it's best to come up with a strategy so you don't get overwhelmed with all Hootsuite has to offer. There are a lot of tricks and great tools on the platform, so once you have a vision and you're ready to execute, Hootsuite is there to help you!
Justin Murray is the Owner and operator of Kickin Knowledge, a San Diego web design, development, and marketing company. With over 8 years of online marketing and website experience, Justin has a passion for building and promoting businesses on the internet. Justin studied Computer Science from Coleman University, with a concentration in Computer Networking, where he achieved certifications in A+ Computer Repair, as well as CompTIA Certifications in Computer Security and Networking. Considered a "jack of all trades" when it comes to websites, Justin brings experience and dedication to Kickin Knowledge. Kickin Knowledge proudly specializes in Wordpress, Woocommerce, E-commerce, SEO, and PPC (pay per click like Google Adwords) marketing services.